The CLC Library is happy to announce that we have subscribed to the NYTimes Academic Pass. This means that anyone with a valid CLC email address can sign up for free access to the NYTimes.com website and related apps! It also means that you can cancel your personal subscription to NYTimes.com! (But first, read the “Restrictions” section below to make sure you want to cancel.)
How to Register for Your Free Academic Pass:
- Click the New York Times link above to claim your academic pass.
- Click “Register” to create a NYTimes.com account using your stu.clcillinois.edu or clcillinois.edu email address. If you already have a NYTimes account (free or paid) tied to your CLC email, you need to unlink your CLC email from that account before signing up for your Academic Pass. Log in to NYTimes.com, click your username in the top right corner, select “My Account,” and replace your CLC address with a non-CLC one. You can then use your CLC address to register for your pass.
- At the bottom of the Sign up page, click “Create Account.” You will be prompted to check your email. Look for the confirmation message, which should arrive within 15 minutes. Make sure to check your spam, junk, or clutter folders if your pass does not arrive.
- Click the link in the confirmation email. This will simultaneously verify your eligibility and grant your Academic Pass, which will provide access to NYTimes.com for 52 weeks.
- If you don’t get the confirmation email and have checked your spam/junk/clutter folders, send an email from your CLC email account to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ongoing Use: Once you have activated your Academic Pass, you should have full access for 52 weeks (364 days) with no further action on your part. If you see a message that you are reaching the limit of free articles on the site, you’re probably not logged in. Simply log back in.
Smartphone Apps: Your Academic Pass includes access to the NYTimes smartphone apps. Also, once you have registered your Academic Pass, you can access nytimes.com on most web-capable devices.
Tablet Apps: Go to the app store (App Store on iPads, Play Store on Android devices) and search for and download the appropriate NYTimes tablet app. Open it, log in with your CLC email address and NYTimes password, and you’re good to go!
- Academic Passes do not include print copies, Crosswords, or the NYTimes Crosswords app.
- Some Academic Pass articles from 1923-1980 may be restricted due to publisher agreements.
- If you have a personal subscription that includes features not available through the Academic Pass, you may not want to cancel your subscription. (Or you might want to cancel only part of your subscription.)
Canceling a Personal Subscription: To cancel your personal subscription, call NYTimes customer service at 1-800-NYTIMES or, if you subscribed through iTunes, follow these instructions. There may be other things you have to do, depending on the device you have been using to read the NYTimes. If you had an annual subscription, you will receive a refund for the unused portion of the year. If you had a monthly subscription, you will not receive a refund for the month in which you cancel.
If you have questions, contact the Library by phone 847.543.2071 or via chat.